Performance Pulsation Control’s Hydraulic System Field Analysis
Many pumping systems can benefit from a field analysis to improve system performance. Specialized equipment and experience is necessary to completion of a comprehensive analysis of the hydraulic pumping systems. Evaluation of the sensitive hydraulic pump pressure waves combined with our reciprocation pump experience enables Performance Pulsation Control to determine precisely the pump/system performance. Based on our findings, we will present recommendations for system improvements.
Portable field equipment consisting of a Laptop Computer with data acquisition system hardware and appropriate pressure and other types of transducers provides measurements and representation of system pressures, temperatures, and vibration.
The use of a wireless high speed Laptop Computer based data acquisition system removes all doubt from the recording of random or short-duration pressure pulses. The short-duration pressure pulses can be very subtle but very important in the interpretation of system performance. Obtaining simultaneous hydraulic pressure waveforms from up to 16 locations is extremely important in relating the dynamic characteristic in another. For instance, hydraulic pressure measurement of a pump cylinder in conjunction with an inlet or outlet flow stream enables one to relate hydraulic pressure disturbances in the system to a definite pump phenomenon such as flow variation, valve openings and closures, cavitation and system resonance.
PPC uses a complete hardware system with computer software to acquire pressure data, vibration, temperature, and pump RPM. The hardware/software consists of the following:
National Instruments (mounted in a waterproof enclosure):
- NI 9188, 8 module chassis
- NI 9203 (2 EA) 8 channel 4-20ma module for pressure transducers
- NI 9211 4 channel thermocouple module for measuring up to 3 temperature locations
- NI9215 4 channel module used for measuring pump RPM
- NI 9234 4 channel module for measuring vibration (using a triaxial accelerometer).
- Optional NI 9234 4 channel module available for measuring vibration in triaxial mode or in 3 separate locations.
Hewlett Packard (Agilent):
- HP 3461A Dynamic Signal Analyzer used for measuring vibration on a single axis.
- HP EliteBook 8570W Laptop Computer
Sensotec Pressure Transducers:
- 8 ea. – 500 PSI Full Scale
- 8 ea. – 10,000 PSI Full Scale
Ashcroft Pressure Transducers:
- 5 ea. – 20,000 PSI Full Scale
Omegadyne Pressure Transducers:
- 2 ea. – 30,000 PSI Full Scale
- 1 ea. – Triaxial type, 5mv/g sensitivity, 50g max
- 3 ea. – Single Axis type, 100mv/g sensitivity, 50g max
Bud Industries Enclosure:
- Waterproof NEMA4 enclosure with 12VDC 10 A power supply mounted on a DIN rail
- 16 waterproof mil-standard round bayonet connectors for the pressure transducers.
- 3 da. – Type K Thermocouples, Range: 32 deg. F to 900 deg. F.
- LED Remote Optical Sensor, 1 to 50,000 RPM w/waterproof reflective tape.
- Wireless Router
- SS ¼” Male NPT x ¼ Male NPT Hex Nipples
- Ball valves, various types
- Cabling; 25’ and 50’ Cable, 3 wire, twisted pair, shielded
- Measurement applications have been developed using LabVIEW by National Instruments.
- These specific applications were created to meet customer’s needs and requests. For example, pressure only, vibration only, pressure and vibration only, etc.
- Performance Pulsation Control Hydraulic System Field Analysis pricing includes 1 day on-site equipment setup and data measurement of requested measurement variables. Initial measurement evaluation along with hydraulic disturbances will be discussed.
- Expenses for travel will be billed a 1.05 times actual incurred expense based on reasonable incurred costs.
PPC Professional Analysis Services – Pressure Waveform Interpretation
- Pressure Waveform Interpretation will be priced separately based on hourly charges or price per job.
- Interpretation of these highly sensitive and subtle pressure waves can be very difficult and time consuming. PPC has trained staff that can professional and efficiently determine what these waves mean and help solve system problems. Detailed measurement analysis can take up to 4 weeks.
- Evaluation of the sensitive hydraulic pump pressures waves combined with many years of reciprocation pump experience, enable PPC to determine precisely the pump/system performance. Observed operations and recommendations for system improvement can then be presented to the user.